Tickets, Passes & Memberships
How do I buy tickets and passes? How much are they?
We offer sliding scale pricing for individual tickets from as low as $5 to up to $21 per ticket. All ticket prices are inclusive of taxes and fees and include a non-voting membership. We offer the same range of ticket prices for both in-person and online screenings, allowing you the flexibility to pay what you can.
- FWB ($21) - The FWB, or Friend with Benefits ticket, is designed for folks who feel they can afford to pay a little more for their film screening. This is a great way to provide a little more support for the work our charitable organization does.
- Standard ($14) - Standard tickets are our base price for any film viewing, online or in-person.
- Access ($10) - Access tickets are designed for Students, Seniors, the Underemployed, or anyone else who needs a reduced ticket price to access online or in-person film screenings.
- Access+ ($5) - Our lowest-cost ticket for folks who need reduced financial barriers.
Sometimes we work with other partners or venues to present films. In some of those instances the partner controls the box office and sets the ticket prices. While we try to work with all of our partners to ensure our co-presentations are financially accessible, we can't always ensure that the prices will match those listed above. If you have any questions about pricing, please contact our Box Office using the chat feature or by email.
Companions accompanying people who need assistance to access our film screenings or events are always free. If you have any concerns about accessing any of our films or events, either for financial reasons or because of other barriers you may experience, please contact our Box Office team and we'll work with you to make arrangements.
Festival Passes provide a richer experience, allowing you to see any film during the Festival, as long as there is availability. Passholders and their guests are allowed to access in-person screening venues ahead of other ticket holders to help you get the best seats. Festival Passholders also have access to all online and digital content. All Festival Passes also include 1 Voting Membership in the Vancouver Out On Screen Film & Video Society, providing you with the opportunity to participate in our Annual General Meeting
Festival Passes can be picked up at our Box Office at in-person screenings. Check out the online programme to see which films will have screenings at specific venues to plan accordingly.
Passes are only available for patrons aged 18 years or older. You may be asked to show proof of age when attending an in-person film screening or special event.
Festival Passes are offered at two price points, $145 and $175, allowing you to choose what you are able to afford or would like to pay. A cost reduced Digital Pass is available for online screenings only.
- Access Pass ($145) - The Access Pass is designed for Students, Seniors, the Underemployed, or anyone else who needs a reduced price to access online or in-person film screenings. The Access Pass "pays" for itself after approximately 10 film screenings (online or in-person).
- Festival Pass ($175) - The Festival Pass is our base pass price. The Festival Pass "pays" for itself after approximately 12 film screenings (online or in-person).
- Digital Pass ($100) - The Digital Pass is a great option for film-lovers who aren't ready to return to in-person film screenings. The Digital Pass provides you full access to our online film screenings only - you cannot access in-person film screenings with this pass.
I want to pick up my ticket/pass in person, how do I do that?
If you have purchased your tickets or pass online and would like to pick them up in person, please select the 'will call' option at check out. Your tickets or pass will be available for pick up at our in-person venues during the run of the festival.
Will call will only be available at the following venues when the box office is open:
- Thursday, August 10th: Vancouver Playhouse
- Friday, August 11th: Cineplex International Village
- Saturday, August 12th: Cineplex International Village
- Sunday, August 13th: Cineplex International Village
- Wednesday, August 16th: Vancouver Playhouse
- Thursday, August 17th: Cineplex International Village
- Friday, August 18th: Cineplex International Village
- Saturday, August 19th: Cineplex International Village (afternoon)
- Saturday, August 19th: Vancouver Playhouse (evening)
- Sunday, August 20th: Cineplex International Village
You can look for will call at the 'Passholder Table' not at the Box Office to make sure your experience is quicker and more streamlined. Tickets and passes will be sorted alphabetically by first name.
I have an extra Festival Pass I want to gift to someone else, how does that work?
If you would like to gift your second Festival Pass to a friend or family member, please see our handy guide for transferring tickets.
Do I need a membership to watch films?
Out On Screen operates in compliance with the Motion Picture Act and Consumer Protection BC. Per the laws of these bodies, you must be a member of The Vancouver Out On Screen Film and Video Society and 18 years of age and older to view unrated films.
New in 2023, we have streamlined our membership process to make it easier to attend film screenings and engage with our society. All tickets will now automatically include a non-voting membership to the society. Films that are unrated still require attendees to be 18 years of age or older and this will be verified at each screening.
Our voting membership goes above and beyond: it’s a statement that you support the work that we do at Out On Screen using the transformative power of film to uplift queer, trans, and Two Spirit people and artists. Voting memberships are included with all Festival Passes but can also be purchased separately on our website! If the price of a voting membership is prohibitive but you’d love to engage with the society, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I buy a ticket after the film has started?
Yes! Our Box Office remains open 30 minutes after the start of an in-person screening. If a film is being streamed online, you can purchase a ticket at any time before the film goes offline. You will have 24 hours to watch the full film after you hit play, unless the film expires.
Do you offer refunds or exchanges for passes or tickets?
We know that sometimes, try as we might, we just can’t make it to all of the films and events we plan to. If something comes up and you need to adjust your tickets, contact us for help, and we’ll see what we can do.
If you happen to miss an in-person screening, we recommend exchanging your in-person ticket for a digital ticket if available! Please reach out to email@example.com and we can do this exchange for you.
We’ll aim to respond quickly, but please allow up to two (2) days for us to get back to you. Any delay on our side will not impact the eligibility of your refund.
What happened to Reel Patron Benefits?
Historically, Out On Screen has offered donors who give above a certain level monthly or annually the option to receive “Reel Patron Benefits” with multiple and different benefits depending on donation level.
We are currently in the process of phasing out this program in favour of allowing our audience to simply donate in addition to and/or separately from purchasing tickets and Passes (previously included in various benefit levels). For this reason, Reel Patron Benefit options no longer appear on our website.
If you are a current donor who has opted into receiving Reel Patron Benefits, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we are happy to answer any questions you may have!